So I finished the blankets - but still had a mountain of wool. Consequently, I decided to finger crochet rugs to match. In the meantime, I'd decorated the two bedrooms: I decided to call the single one Hope, the double one Faith.
So far, so good. But then I came to the colour theming of the room. Hope had, up until now, been in shades of cool blue and I transferred it to tints of green. There was an embroidered picture of moss roses; curtains which referred to a paleish green and the green carpet. So Hope worked. There was plenty of the same sort of wool I'd used for the blanket left, enough, as it happened to make two rugs and still have more left than I was happy with.
But Faith was a complete disaster. The blanket had been conceived as a homage to autumn, with warm browns and rich oranges. But the rug took on a life of its own. It was so beautiful: starting with pale yellow, it gradually darkened until it became a warm brown, then there were echoes of black. I called the rug "The Dawn of Creation", though a kinder title might have been "What a cappuchino looks like from above". It just didn't go with the blanket.
So back to square one. Hope worked; Faith didn't. But the good thing with Faith is that you don't have to get it right first time, there's enough faith to try again and maybe get it a little better, I guess that applies to more things than rugs ...